Friday, May 09, 2008

Boracay Virgin

I'm here in Boracay for our two-day sports festival (economic reporters). It's my first time to be in this famous island. We're in a resort called Two Seasons. Quite comfy, but once inside, you could be anywhere else. There's no tell-tale signs you're in the island paradise because the room design is generic (and this is a luxury resort). I'm afraid to use the soap in the sink or take a bath too much because this is a beachfront property (without the view of the beach, though). I wonder what kind of damage this resort and all the others that dot the long beach do on the island's fragile ecosystem. Oh, the caprices of man that destroy Mother Earth!
Anyway, a few observations:
1. The turquoise waters are really something. They're much better than the ones in Bohol.
2. There are too many people. It seems all of Manila are in this island for their summer outing.
3. I saw a couple of ATMs near the public market. And I thought this island is isolated. I guess next year I should try Palawan.
4. We made a land trip from Kalibo (because we took a Cebu Pacific plane) to Caticlan, the jump-off point to the island. It was all of two hours! The roads are fine though.
5. In some parts in the island you'd feel like you're in Quiapo. So much noise and chaos. It seems development popped up without warning and the people didn't know any better.
Wait a minute, what am I doing in my room, I should go out to check the gorgeous beach!

No comments: