Friday, October 06, 2006

Scoop!

i had a field day today, made a wave at the market for comments i picked up from central bank governor tetangco. it's about the possibility of a cut in the policy rates.
as usual, i didn't know the impact of what i did until it circulated in the market.
the guys at bloomberg did a terrific job, creating a headline-grabbing story out of the statements i fished out.
no other wire agency picked it up. i think the bloomberg manila staff was ecstatic because reuters, their main competitor, was left out in the game.
the wire reached singapore, where i guess the regional bureau centers are holding office, and only bloomberg carried those all-too important statements (because the market is looking for a definite sign for a policy action from the central bank).
i got a patting on the back from coco and company. tony jordan, the bureau chief, said what i did was "awesome."
to think that they had hesitations in getting me as stringer. just as i suspected, me a neophyte in the field would have to earn my stripes.
i'm surprised i did such a thing myself. i'm so happy, i made a good follow up to a scoop i made the other week.
but as i often say, i'm just as good as my last story.

2 comments:

WaldHoney said...

congratz!!! an advance bday gift!:)))

iris gonzales said...

congrats Max!
Just dropped by your site. I knew I made the right suggestion to Coco when he asked me, as a former BSP reporter, kung sino pwede mag string for them sa BSP. Kudos!