Thursday, September 21, 2006

A brush with mortality

You’ll never know when you’re about to go. But you can tell if your time is up.
That was certainly my case during a big flood in espana. I was coming home from pasay when rushing waters greeted the tamaraw fx I was riding in.
The poor driver swerved his vehicle here and there until we were in a sidestreet that was only half-flooded than espana. Then we came to a deep corner. I had to get out of the vehicle and try my luck walking through the waterlogged street or I had to wait till the waters subside.
Before my eyes was a sea of dirty water that got me really scared. If there’s a hole somewhere I’d drown without anyone seeing me. Or if a live wire fell off from an electric post I’d be toasted like a cat.
I changed direction and emerged in espana. Behold, water was building up so high that only 18-wheeler trucks could get through. The water was something like that you see in a forest flowing from the mountains, except that this was all of filth.
I joined the other hapless commuters to wade in the dark waters. After a forceful 100 steps or so I was across espana. But then, water was everywhere. I turned left to an obscure street then turned right on to another street leading to where I live.
Now, I noticed that mayor atienza had installed new electric posts with their lights shining brightly to guide passersby. I was almost thankful for this deed when five feet to an electric post infront of me I felt shockwaves throughout my body. I felt like my hairs stood up. Good golly, the waters are alive!
In my panic, I jumped on to the base of the post and wrapped my hands around the metal post but that just shocked me more. I was holding on to the very source of the shock!
I jumped out and landed on an embankment near a pldt switch. It was a dark corner. Somebody from across the street yelled at me but I couldn’t hear him. I shouted back to say the post was electrocuting me. He just looked at me.
I stood there waiting for my salvation and still shaking, I realized I was at the throes of death. I looked down on the muddle and falling flat on that dirty water was not my idea of exiting from this world. But at least, I assured myself, somebody was there to explain how I went.
The thought of death did not ruffle me, maybe because I was in good spirits that night. But somehow, it occurred to me that I wasn’t going yet. There’s no such experience of my past flashing in my mind or a vision of a dead relative calling me out.
Then again, I thought it wasn’t a bad idea to leave now. Should I go should I not? In a moment a teenager wandered infront of me and felt the shocked I felt then jumped as well to where I was.
That gave me an idea, beyond five feet the electric post was harmless. I somersaulted to my left with my two feet splashed on the water then dashed to my safety. I was out of danger.
I reached home wet and still shaking but otherwise I was thankful I was alive. Mayor atienza’s electric posts almost did me in. For a moment, I thought that was it but my feelings belied that fear.

No comments: